Thursday, March 26, 2015

Remember this top?




Well now it's a quilt (almost)! Here's it is being basted:


As you can see, I added a 6 inch border in the multicoloured dots to make it a little bit bigger. Before the borders it was about 52" square, but the recipients (my family I was visiting) decided they wanted it to be a little bigger. This was the first time I added borders & it went much smoother than I anticipated. Probably due to the fact that this is a very forgiving print.

I quilted it with straight lines in a chevron pattern along the chevrons that are in the blocks. I didn't quilt on the borders--so this was the first time that I had to bury all of the thread ends (I usually just quilt from edge to edge and catch the ends in the binding). It probably needs some quilting on the borders but I was kind of in a crunch with the time and didn't have a good idea for them.

It is backed in the multicoloured flags also from this line (The Boathouse by Sweetwater) and the binding is the red & navy links.

As I said on Instagram, I didn't take my real camera (so I only had my iPhone for pictures) & I'm really short so a good picture of the quilt didn't really happen. Instead, here is one of it draped over a couch with the binding sewn on to the front but not hand stitched to the back. Maybe I can coerce the now owners of the quilt to take a picture of the finished quilt...


I was in the process of hand stitching the binding in the car as I was leaving, but ended up dropping the needle as I was trying to rethread it--so only some of the binding is finished. Luckily--I was leaving it as a gift with some other sewers so it should get finished without me (maybe even some quilting on the borders!). 

I love the way it turned out--especially since I don't usually just sew with one line. I'm not very adventurous with learning new skills but this helped me step out of my comfort zone a little bit. At least for me, quilting is always a dichotomy of me wanting my work to look good & being frustrated that I don't have more skills. You can't get better without practicing, right? So I guess it's time to just do it!




No comments:

Post a Comment